Friday, August 21, 2009

938. White Stripes - White Blood Cells (2001)















Track Listing

1. Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground
2. Hotel Yorba
3. I'm Finding It Harder To Be A Gentleman
4. Fell In Love With A Girl
5. Expecting
6. Little Room
7. The Union Forever
8. The Same Boy You've Always Known
9. We're Going To Be Friends
10. Offend In Every Way
11. I Think I Smell A Rat
12. Aluminum
13. I Can't Wait
14. Now Mary
15. I Can Learn
16. This Protector

Review

I really like the White Stripes. I kind of lost touch with their career from Get Behind Me Satan onwards, as happened with most other stuff as this list keeps me busy, but during the Elephant stage I was pretty much into them.

So it is a welcome reconnection to the Stripes with this album. This is probably the album which goes further in their ideal to be lo-fi and uncomputerized and simply using an electric guitar and some effective drumming. And they do it amazingly, some other instruments creep in, like a piano here and there but it is mostly back to basics.

This back to basics, slightly punkish attitude to the blues is what makes them so great. They approach the old genre of blues-rock informed by the mid to late 70s and they attack it with loads of verve. If I was so sad when Metal lost its blues influences in the 80s, I am glad to see a band which owes as much to Muddy Waters as to Led Zeppelin as to the Ramones.

Track Listing

1. Fell in Love With a Girl
2. Hotel Yorba
3. We're Going To Be Friends
4. Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman

Final Grade

10/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

Considered the band's commercial breakthrough, White Blood Cells peaked at number 61 on the Billboard 200, going Gold and selling over 500,000 units. The album also reached number 55 in the United Kingdom, being bolstered in both territories by the "Fell in Love with a Girl" single and its Lego-animation music video. Stylus magazine rated it the fifteenth greatest album of 2000-2005 while Pitchfork Media ranked it ninth on their list of the top 100 albums from 2000-2004.

Fell in Love With a Girl:

No comments: