Thursday, August 20, 2009

937. Gotan Project - La Revancha Del Tango (2001)



















Track Listing


1. Queremos Paz
2. Epoca
3. Chunga's Revenge
4. Triptico
5. Santa Maria (Del Buen Ayre)
6. Una Musica Brutal
7. El Capitalismo Foraneo
8. Last Tango In Paris
9. La Del Ruso
10. Vuelvo Al Sur

Review

Was there a more overplayed record during the Portuguese summers of the last 8 years? No, there wasn't. Of course that will mean nothing to most of you but it means that my review will probably not be as impartial as I'd like it to be.

I am tired of this album, I've heard it endlessly on a loop at every beach bar, night bar, restaurant or place where people congregate, for the last 8 years! Fortunately I've been able to avoid it this year due to being skint, however, if I had money to go out I'm sure I'd be bombarded with it again.


All this being said it is a great album, in fact my wife bought it when it came out and we heard it a lot before it became the soundtrack to hot days. Truth be told the remixing is quite brilliant and just as Astor Piazzolla made tango relevant again at an earlier age so did Gotan project in the 21st century. Props. But I can't listen to it again.

Track Highlights


1. Vuelvo al Sur
2. Santa Maria (Del Buen Ayre)
3. El Capitalismo Foraneo
4. Una Musica Brutal

Final Grade

8/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

Track 3 is a cover of the title track from Frank Zappa's 1970 album Chunga's Revenge; track 8 is a cover of Gato Barbieri's theme for the 1972 film Last Tango in Paris.


Santa Maria (Del Buen Ayre):


No comments: