Sunday, June 25, 2006

46. Rolling Stones - Rolling Stones (England's Newest Hitmakers)




















Track Listing

1. Not Fade Away
2. Route 66
3. I Just Want To Make Love To You
4. Honest I Do
5. Now I’ve Got A Witness
6. Little By Little
7. I’m A King Bee
8. Carol
9. Tell Me
10. Can I Get A Witness
11. You Can Make It If You Try
12. Walking The Dog

Review

Well, it is a good album and there are definitely stuff to recommend it, but it leaves me a bit underwhelmed. Basically it's Blues, and that is a good thing. Another good thing about the album is the fact that the band, and particularly Jagger's voice, infuse the Blues with a rawness and angriness not much present in earlier Blues' albums.

So that's the good bits. On the other hand there is nothing particularly exciting about it. It's basically Jagger screaming the Blues, and not much original material here as well. There is some kind of innefable underwhelminess to the thing. There will be plenty of other Stone's albums to review and I hope that their more original stuff will make it better.

Interestingly the original UK cover has nothing written on it, it was of course dumbed down for the US market where they made the cover seen above. In the UK it was just the picture of the guys and the decca tag on the lower right corner. The track listing was also different from this one.

So it is worth listening too, but I won't bother sticking it into my Ipod. You can stream it from Napster or buy it at Amazon UK or US.

Track Highlights

1. Not Fade Away
2. (Get Your Kicks On) Route 66
3. Walking the Dog
4. Little By Little

Final Grade

6/10

Trivia


It really annoying when a Stone Rolls and burns your trousers.

Mick Jagger could probably do double oral.

I'd love to give you some wiki trivia but wikipedia is down and I can't be arsed.

No comments: