Sunday, November 29, 2009

1022. Mojo 1 - Frank Sinatra - The Voice of Frank Sinatra (1946)














Track Listing

1. You Go To My Head
2. Someone To Watch Over Me
3. These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)
4. Why Shouldn't I?
5. I Don't Know Why (I Just Do)
6. Try A Little Tenderness
7. (I Don't Stand) A Ghost Of A Chance
8. Paradise

Review


And now for something completely different! Now we start the Mojo Collection... as you see up there the posts will be keeping their numbering with the added "Mojo #" next to them. A lot of the albums here I've already listened to and will not go through again, as such I will mark those I skip in the following post, directing you to my earlier review, and the Mojo number will reflect them.

Some have asked about me doing some statistics on the albums I've listened to, such as figuring out which is the best year etc. etc. I'd really like to do that at some point, and it will be something I'll work on and post eventually, So more music for you.

We start here with what is the very first album. Columbia opted to put these 4 78 Rpms together into a 10" almost-LP, and you get the very first of the Sinatra recordings in one handy plate.

This music actually feels pretty appropriate for the time of the year with December knocking on the door, scratchy Sinatra always seems to have a kind of Christmassy mood.

He sounds pretty young here, his voice is higher than at later dates, but the voice is clear as a bell even with such an old recording, it ends up being pretty lovely stuff in such a short collection clocking at just over 20 minutes. I might be getting sentimental or its just the effect of some oldies after such modernity but I really am enjoying going back to the 50s.

Track Highlights


1. You Go To My Head
2. Paradise
3. These Foolish Things
4. A Ghost of a Chance

Final Grade

9/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

It was first issued as a set of four 78 rpm records totaling eight songs, and went to #1 on the fledgling Billboard chart. It stayed at the top for seven weeks in 1946, spending a total of eighteen weeks on the charts. The album chart consisted of just a Top Five until August 1948.

It also holds the distinction of being the first pop album catalogue item at 33⅓ rpm, when Columbia premiered long-playing vinyl records in 1948, ten-inch and twelve-inch format for classical music, ten-inch only for pop. The Voice was reissued as a 10" LP, catalogue number CL 6001 in 1948. It was also later issued as two 45 rpm EPs in 1952, a 12" LP with a changed running order including only five of the original tracks in 1955, and a compact disc with extra tracks in 2003.

You Go To My Head:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of the Mojo collection. Is it a good book ? Is there any copy of the list on the internet so I would be able to check what's waiting for me ?

Francisco Silva said...

Hi there, yeah it's a pretty nifty list, I think it is a bit more carefully picked than the 1001 albums list and has a bit more variety, it has appendixes on Jamaican Music, soundtracks and "The Best of Best ofs" which are pretty nifty. There is an old version available online at places like eMule as a pdf, however the version I have is a new updated one with crap loads of stuff which I haven't reviewed or listened to. You can look for it on Amazon as well, I think Amazon has a little "look inside" where you can see some pages of the book.

Matt said...

There's a lot of VERY obscure items in the Mojo Collection... good luck finding them all! Have you seen the book "1000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die"? It's a good read (and includes all genres of music, alphabetical rather than chronologically) but it's all one person's opinion.

Francisco Silva said...

Matt: I'll certainly try to get them. I have realised that they aren't that easy to find, but up until now (i've goten about the first 13 album) I haven't had too many problems.

Yea, I have seen that book! But one at a time :)