Wednesday, November 04, 2009

1001. The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan (2005)
















Track Listing

1. Blue Orchid
2. The Nurse
3. My Doorbell
4. Forever For Her (Is Over For Me)
5. Little Ghost
6. The Denial Twist
7. White Moon
8. Instinct Blues
9. Passive Manipulation
10. Take, Take, Take
11. As Ugly As I Seem
12. Red Rain
13. I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)

Review

FINALLY! 1001 Albums! Woohoo! But it ain't over yet, going back to Jack Elliott and Hugh Masekela in the next few days to completely finish stage one of this insane project! But it is finally done!

So Get Behind Me Satan is not the best of The White Stripes albums, but this still means that it is better than 99% of the stuff out there. Here they go for more experimental things, putting a lot of noise in the middle of their tracks while keeping their very organic sound.

This is not to say that they are in any way less melodic, it is full of tracks you can sing along to from Little Ghost to My Doorbell. So in the end even if doesn't live up to White Blood Cells or Elephant it is still something I'll be very happy to add to my ipod.

Track Highlights

1. Little Ghost
2. Blue Orchid
3. Red Rain
4. My Doorbell

Final Grade

9/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

The album cover was used in the Gilmore Girls episode "I Get a Sidekick Out of You", with Lane and Zach in Meg and Jack's positions, respectively. It was also used for the 2008 Ozy and Millie calendar as both the front cover and for the month of January with the characters Ozy and Mille replacing Jack and Meg.

Blue Orchid:


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations mate! You made it this far! Whoo hoo!

Lachlan Willis said...

Congratulations! I've kept this blog on my daily read list for some time now, even though i gave up on trying to listen to all of them a while ago (i got up to about 600) it's satisfying to see someone else has. Looking forward to the statistics and the other new albums too.

Anonymous said...

I wanna be the 1st one to say: Congratulations!!
Welcome in da club (wonder how many we are in it)

Sébastien from France.

Lanark said...

Congratulation!!! 1001 all done. I've been following you since about 1963. I@d be very interested if you were to write a short piece about your thoughts of listening to all 1001 chronologically.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on making the 1001! And thanks for all your reviews many making me laugh out loud. I am way behind in the list but will make it one day.,... Sue

Shu said...

Well done Silva. Great to see that you managed it.