Thursday, February 04, 2010

1070 - Mojo Special 12. Various Artists - Sentimental Journey: Pop Vocal Classics 1950-54 (1990)

















Track Listing

1. Because of You - Tony Bennett, Percy Faith & His Orchestra
2. Cry - The Four Lads, Johnnie Ray, The Four Lads
3. Lover - Gordon Jenkins, Peggy Lee
4. Come On-A My House - Rosemary Clooney
5. Kiss of Fire - Georgia Gibbs, Glenn Osser & His Orchestra
6. I Apologize - Billy Eckstine, Pete Rugolo & Orchestra
7. Song from Moulin Rouge (Where Is Your Heart?) - Percy Faith & His Orchestra, Felicia Sanders
8. You Belong to Me - Jo Stafford, Paul Weston & His Orchestra
9. Wheel of Fortune - Harold Mooney, Kay Starr
10. I Get Ideas - Tony Martin, Henri René & His Orchestra
11. Little Things Mean a Lot - Kitty Kallen
12. That's Amore - Dean Martin, Dick Stabile & His Orchestra
13. Here in My Heart - Monty Kelly & Orchestra, Al Martino
14. How High the Moon - Les Paul & Mary Ford
15. Hold My Hand - Jerry Carr, Don Cornell
16. (Why Did I Tell You I Was Going to) Shanghai - Doris Day, Paul Weston & His Orchestra
17. My Heart Cries for You - Mitch Miller, Guy Mitchell
18. Wish You Were Here - Eddie Fisher, Hugo Winterhalter

Review

So a nice best of album of pop vocal classics from the first half of the fifties... exactly what it says on the box. Fortunately it is a good collection bypassing much of the dross of that time, which doesn't necessarily make it great, but it does make it enjoyable.

You are bound to know many of the tracks and as a primer for what was being done before albums and rock came about it is pretty interesting. It runs the gamut from novelty so semi-operatic stuff.

So a fun album to listen to, which had me, at least, mimicking along to some of the songs, there are plenty of histrionics throughout which make it fun and there are also of plenty just fun tracks like Dean Martin's That's Amore or Rosemary Clooney's Come On-A My House.

Track Highlights

1. Lover
2. That's Amore
3. Come On-A My House
4. I Apologize

Final Grade

8/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

"Lover" is a popular song written by Richard Rodgers, with words by Lorenz Hart. It was featured in the movie Love Me Tonight (1932). Les Paul's version was a guitar instrumental released by Capitol Records in 1948, which is acknowledged to be the very first multitrack recording.

Peggy Lee with Lover:

No comments: