Sunday, December 20, 2009

1041 - Mojo Special 5. Harry James and Doris Day - Young Man With a Horn OST (1950)


















Track Listing

1. I May Be Wrong (But I Think You're Wonderful)
2. The Man I Love
3. The Very Thought Of You
4. Melancholy Rhapsody
5. Get Happy
6. Too Marvelous For Words
7. Limehouse Blues
8. With A Song In My Heart

Review

So we come to the second of our great soundtracks list as chosen by Mojo... and again it isn't a particularly impressive one. Harry James is a great trumpeter and Doris Day is nice and all... but she's a bit too... how should I put it... Doris Day.

I am really not that into wholesome, and Doris Day is nothing if not wholesome, her singing voice has very little fire or pizazz, it's very nice but nice isn't really a great quality.

So in the end the album is nice, with nice renditions of nice classics for a nice audience with nice Doris Day sounding nice.... it doesn't really thrill me in the least.

Track Highlights


1. I May Be Wrong (But I Think You're Wonderful)
2. Get Happy
3. The Man I Love
4. With A Song In My Heart

Final Grade

7/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

The film is regarded as one of the first major Hollywood productions to present a woman with strongly implied lesbian tendencies. This is suggested by Bacall's occasionally frigid character's unaccounted overnight absence from her husband at the same time she is talking of moving to Europe with a female artist. The artist, Miss Carson, is later present, and Amy gushes to her: "I'm dying to see the rest of your sketches."

Trailer for the film with some music:

No comments: