Friday, March 13, 2009

817. Eels - Beautiful Freak (1996)

















Track Listing


1. Novocaine For The Soul
2. Susan's House
3. Rags To Rags
4. Beautiful Freak
5. Not Ready Yet
6. My Beloved Monster
7. Flower
8. Guest List
9. Mental
10. Spunky
11. Your Lucky Day In Hell
12. Manchild

Review

Meh. A couple of good songs here and there don't really make for a great album. This is another one of those top-heavy albums, most of the good songs are in the first 4 tracks. It then seems that it runs out of steam.

Still it doesn't really offend me. My friend Sara thinks otherwise, and she's here telling me to give it a 0. I say no! It is quite passable alternative rock. Only it is not very intereting, it's just a bit bland.

So I opt to give it a non-commital 7, I don't particularly want to listen to it again, but I don't dislike it. Just not enough to really understand why it is above average. Competent, but bland. There.

Track Highlights

1. Novocaine For The Soul
2. Susan's House
3. Beautiful Freak
4. Rags To Rags

Final Grade

7/10

Trivia

From Wikipedia:

It was the first album released worldwide by DreamWorks Records, and contains an interesting mix of lo-fi, rock and pop songs including the singles "Novocaine for the Soul" and "Susan's House". "My Beloved Monster" was later used in the soundtrack of Shrek, and "Beautiful Freak" was used in the soundtrack of Hellboy 2: The Golden Army and "Monster Inc. Influences include hip hop, and grunge.

Novocaine for the soul:

No comments: